Skip to main content

Finding my way back

The past couple years have been such a journey for me. Whoever said that we are supposed to have it all figured out by age 30 lied... yup that was a flat out lie!!  I've always known that I wanted some kind of digital presence, I've always known that I wanted to be an entrepreneur but I've never quite got it to click. Over the past years that I have been absent from this blog I've gone from working a fulltime 8-4, to creating my own hair product line, opening an online retail store, having several part time jobs, whew I am getting tired just writing this lol.  Then came 2020..... the year covid hit. There was a lot of silence, stillness and healing in 2020. I needed a time out. I needed to stop.  If I am being totally honest 2020 rocked me in ways that I still cannot quite put into words. Maybe one day, far far into the future looking back I could explain. At present I sit here in June 2021, still trying to catch my footing, not wanting to go back to the mundane activit

Hair Theory: Sealing in Moisture

Hey guys,

Now that you have gotten all that moisture into your hair-shaft how do you keep it in there? Coming out of the hair structure post we see that there are cuticles on the outermost layer of the strand. These are like tiny scales... when they are open they allow substances to enter and leave the strand freely. The trick is to get them open inorder to get the desired substances inside, then to close them shut so that these substances are trapped inside. Below I am going to discuss some of the ways we can trap/seal moisture into our hair..

1. Ph

Our scalps natural sebum is acidic. Our hair thrives in slightly acidic environments as it closes the hair's cuticle. Diluted Apple cider vinegar and aloe vera juice are both acidic and are effective in closing the cuticle. The best ph range for our hair is 4.5-5.6 . You can also purchase ph testing strips to measure the ph of hair products as it is not normally listed on labels.  

2. Oils and butters
Oils  and butters seal moisture into the hair by forming a barrier over the cuticle. It does not close the cuticle but it covers it thus trapping water inside the strand. I like to post pics so I did a little experiment to show you what I mean. I know the results are obvious but just for fun...here goes

I put two cups with equal amounts of water outside for the same period of time (about one week) the only difference was that one cup had a layer of oil over the water.

                                                                  Before:
 

                                                                       After:
Results: The cup with the layer of oil had significantly more (almost half) water than the other one. The oil sealed the water and prevented it from evaporating. This is similar to how it works with our hair strands, using a hair butter on wet or damp hair is a good way to do this.


3. Temperature
Similar to our pores, heat opens the cuticle while cold closes it. It is a good habit to use cold water as your final rinse on wash day.

4.Silicones
Silicones are non-water soluble substances that can be found in most hair products. They operate in a similar manner to hair butters by forming a thin layer over the cuticles to prevent water loss from the strand. The reason silicones have become such a 'bad word' in the hair world is because they can cause build up on the hair strand which can prevent water from entering the shaft. It is wise to use a good clarifying/stripping shampoo when using silicones.

It is important to note that these methods are to be used on hair that has been deep conditioned and moisturised (wet/damp), It can actually harm your progress to use these methods on dry hair.


I hope this concept of sealing moisture into the hair has become clearer to you. It is vital to healthy hair and relatively easy to incorporate into your hair regimen.

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more...

God Bless!!

Ren

Comments

  1. You are so awesome for that water experiment. I would have never thought of doing that. Great post.

    guyanesesista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was a really great post! I love the water experiement...such a great visual!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great visual. It really drives the point home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually found this blog and that is amazing thing I enjoy reading this easy to understand stuff. Keep it up. Look for CA Sunset Images

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hair Practices:Protecting hair for Texturizing Touch-up

Hey just coming at you with a short post on how I texturize my hair to get minimal breakage and damage. I was asked about my texlaxing process so below is a quick step by step tutorial of my touch up. Step 1: Separate hair in quarters. Take a good look at your new growth and determine where the line of demarcation is (where your relaxed hair meets your natural hair). Coat your already processed hair with vaseline and/or baby oil. Products New growth Separate in quarters Step 2: Add conditioner or oils to the relaxer to dilute the strength. This slows down the processing of the hair and allows you time for application if you move slowly like me lol. About 50/50 regular relaxer and conditioner Step 3: I apply my relaxer with my hands (using gloves ofcourse).. smoothing as I go along. I do not comb through Step 4: I leave the relaxer in for about 10 minutes Dont worry if the relaxer gets on already processed hair as its slathered with vaseline and bab

Healthy Hair Practices: Stretching Relaxers

Hello everyone, Today I want to focus on relaxed hair and shed some light on one of the most important practices that contributes to healthy relaxed (bone straight or texturized) hair. What does it mean to stretch your relaxer? Traditionally hair stylists have encouraged women to relax their hair every 4 to 6 weeks. Stretching your relaxer means lengthening the period between your touch ups, so instead of 4 to 6 weeks, you wait for 8 to 10 weeks or more. Why stretch your relaxer? -To prevent over lapping Hair grows on average  half an inch per month. When touching up a relaxer, chemical is supposed to be applied to the new growth but if there is only half inch of curly new growth it becomes very difficult to prevent relaxer from getting on the already relaxed hair. This results in overlapping the relaxer which causes the hair to become over processed, brittle and prone to breakage. -To give your scalp a break from harsh chemicals -To give you enough time to treat the hair

Healthy Hair Styling: Safe Flat Irioning

Hi Guys, I flat ironed my hair yesterday and I figured that I should do a post on safe flat ironing. It seems that with all the information out there about caring for our hair, heat has become the enemy. I believe that like everything else, heat can be used in moderation without having harmful effects to your hair. Below are some useful tips for flat ironing: 1. Deep Condition for atleast one hour prior to flat ironing. This is important as it infuses moisture and protein into the strands. Curly hair normally reverts when flat ironed because of humidity (moisture in the atmosphere), if your hair is moisturised well, it would not suck moisture from the atmosphere into your hair, thus your press would last longer. 2. Use a liquid leave-in. I have found that cream leave-in conditioners make my hair heavy and limp when I flat iron. 3. Use a heat protectant A good protectant is absolutely necessary when using heat. Fine strand ladies should use a  liquid and for thicker strands a s